Quick Question

Why is Mercury so poisonous?

I’m assuming, like me, you were always told the same thing as a child: “Don’t bite on the thermometer!” You might assume your parents were being overzealous as usual, exaggerating so you pay attention. But having witnessed the ensuing panic after my little sister bit into one, I started thinking maybe there was something to this. 

But what is it about Mercury that makes it do dangerous? Often called Quicksilver, its physical properties make it the stuff of stories! The symbol for mercury on the periodic table is Hg from the Greek “hydragynum” which translates to watery silver: this is where the secret lies. Silver is a metal and we generally have a specific idea of what metals are like: hard and strong and generally always in a solid state. Mercury is the only metal that is liquid at standard temperature and pressure: in fact it is the metal that can remain liquid in the widest range of conditions. This is mostly due to the abnormal behaviour of the electrons orbiting the atom and makes it one of the only 5 elements to be liquid in a normal state.

But the real dangerous property of mercury is its density. 13.5 times denser than water, its liquid and gas forms are highly poisonous. When inhaled or ingested, Mercury can accumulate in the body, slowly degrading the membranes of important organs like the brain, nervous system, kidneys or liver. It can cause varying effects from eye irritation and vomiting to DNA and chromosomal damage. Mercury can be found naturally in the environment, present around the world as cinnabar. Although it has always been released into the environment through normal weathering, the recent rise in its quantity on the globe has many people worried. As it is not naturally found in food, there is a worry that we could be ingesting dangerous amounts of it simply as a result of the natural food chain, fish being the main concern.

There has been a huge effort to minimise the mercury danger, whether it be its atmospheric concentration or finding new tools to replace its use in day-to-day life. A wide range of non-mercury thermometers are now available, especially as mercury thermometers have been banned in the US and some EU countries. 

The other day I broke one of the last remaining mercury thermometers in my lab. Not in my mouth thank god, just dropped it on the floor. A million little beads of silver scattered everywhere and I have to admit I was a little stumped as to what to do. Once thing: don’t hoover it up or use a broom, you’ll just disperse the beads even further. But it is possible to merge the beads together by pushing them along the floor and making a bit pool of mercury. It actually is quite cool! Luckily we have ways of disposing of toxic chemicals in research labs, but don’t mess around with it at home, your parents were right to be a pain!


5 thoughts on “Why is Mercury so poisonous?

  1. I’m making a chemistry report on mercury, and this was huge help! Thanks for the writing that was really easy to understand and yet very detailed; I probably couldn’t finish the report without this!

    Posted by Identification Hidden | February 26, 2014, 5:58 am
  2. Super useful! Thanks!! Used it for my science project on mercury!

    Posted by Etta | October 9, 2014, 1:42 am
  3. Could anyone tell me who the author of this is? I’m doing a chemistry project on mercury and this was very useful but I’m unable to cite it without and author

    Posted by Miriam | March 24, 2015, 7:03 pm
    • Hi Miriam,
      You can just add a link to the website on your project. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate – check the about me tab.

      Posted by Natacha Agabalyan | March 24, 2015, 7:10 pm
      • Thank you! yeah at first I was using my phone to look this website up so your name did not show up anywhere. Thank you for this by the way, its a very good citation for me!

        Posted by Miriam | March 24, 2015, 7:20 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

About me

Natacha is a research scientist and a lover of all things science! She love finding out interesting facts about all aspects of life, whether it’s how genetic engineering works or what the difference between crimped and straight hair is. There’s a bit of science behind every mystery and the Science Informant will help find the clues for everyone to enjoy and understand the amazing world of science!

Member Button linking to the Association of British Science Writers (ABSW) - an association of science writers, journalists, broadcasters and science-based communications professionals - many of whom are available for freelance work

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 343 other followers

Twitter Updates

%d bloggers like this: